Monday, April 21, 2008

The Adventures of Warrior Chicken!!!

Most of you know that we have a couple of chickens, one hen, one rooster. Well they just hatched 11 chicks. Yea! Now we have to catch them. They escaped from the coop about a month ago and when we tried to catch them the hen was nesting. So now we have the hen wandering the yard with her chicks in tow. If you have never been around a hen with chicks, if you get close to them the hen turns into Warrior Chicken! She does this by fluffing the feathers around her neck and bowing out her wings to make herself look big and mean I suppose.

Well one day we decided to go out to play. The boys stayed close to me but Ellie made a bee line for the swings. I am carrying Grace and her exerscaucer, so I am a little hindered. I'm trying to catch up with Ellie to no avail. As we round the corner of the garden, there is the hen with her chicks. Mama hen upon spying Ellie throws on her armor and turns into Warrior Chicken! Ellie completely oblivious to the fact the hen is trying to tell her to get away, wades through the chicks and makes a mad dash to the swings. The hen didn't know what to do because when ever she turns into Warrior Chicken people generally stay away. She, thank goodness, opted for herding her chicks back together. What are Teddy and Tommy doing, you might ask. Upon seeing Warrior Chicken they come running back to me. Tommy played it cool and slowly turned around with an expression of, "Hey Mom that hen turned into Warrior Chicken, so ya know I'll just come and stand by you." Teddy on the other hand decided this was cause for great alarm and came running back to me with a look of, "MOM IT'S WARRIOR CHICKEN!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAA!"

So in the end, Ellie made it to her swing, and the rest of us patently waited for the hen to gather her chicks and venture to new scratching grounds. She did so pretty quickly after Ellie sent her chicks running for cover.

I thought I would start to end my blogs with a quote, something inspirational or funny or both, so for the first one I thought I'd use and oldie but goody. St. Francis is one of my favorite saints, so I figure I'll use my old bud for the first one. God Bless!


"Preach the Gospel, speak if necessary."
- St. Francis of Assisi

No comments: